Skip to content

Support Forum

47 results found

1. Would it be possible to separate the selection of a language and the selection of a keyboard layout?

On my PC, I type in 3 languages, German, English and Dutch. But I only use my German hardware keyboard for all languages. Switching keyboard layouts is confusing and slows typing speed. If I could leave my PadKeys layout, while changing the language and preselect the layout in settings, it would be very helpful.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

What you are saying makes sense, and would not be hard to implement. However the trick is to keep the configuration simple for the user. It starts to feel clunky when you are having to select layout and language separately.

One idea might be to have an “freeze layout” switch which if unset (the default) leaves behavior as now. If it IS set, that layout stays unchanged, and only the language changes when selecting by the regular mechanism (either quick-switch or from list in settings).

2. Split Keyboard

I love using the split keyboard capability of the iOS keyboard; however, I love your layout much better. Please consider a split keyboard feature.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update (June 2021): When we first attempted to implement this we could not find a clean way that didn’t risk introducing bugs. However, this is one of the most popular suggestions that we haven’t addressed yet. We will look into it again for a coming release.

3. Please make swipe feature more accurate

Love the keyboard features, but what makes it hard for me to use is the inaccurate swipe function. I end up trying multiple times and after a while I have to give up and type instead.
    I would love to use this keyboard for the complete keyboard it has, but the inaccurate swipe feature makes me go back to free keyboards instead.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Word swipe in PadKeys is good enough for many users and certainly better than keyboards such as the system default that don’t have it at all. It also needs to be understood it will always seem worse than other keyboards on the same device simply because the keys are smaller.

It IS relatively sensitive to the first and last keys touched, so if you hit these accurately, the results will be better.

We continue to work on improving word swipe incrementally. Please vote for this issue if it is important to you, so we can prioritize accordingly.

4. Create a taller keyboard (in landscape mode) for larger iPhone models

Thank you so much for all the effort you've put into your keyboard.

Could you please add a setting where the keyboard (only in landscape mode) becomes taller than it already is in "regular" mode? You could call this new setting "tall" mode.

Ideally, it would be for the iPhone XS Max, and iPhone Plus models. Note that only the letter keys are 24px taller than in regular mode (on an iPhone XS Max display).

Note: I'd be willing to pay $200 to get this implemented.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Most used special characters bar

I often use some special characters that need to switch to symbols or use alternate/shift keys or long press popup to access it. It is very annoying having to press 3 different keys to get a special character every time.
    Since those characters are often always the same 2 or 3, it would be useful to automatically add the most used special characters on a additional horizontal bar or in the same bar containing the suggestions, maybe at the very left. Just 4 or 5 keys would be helpful. Just count the frequency of usage of those special characters and…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello, what device and orientation are you typically using? (Reason I ask, there is a lot more horizontal room for such things on an iPad in landscape mode than a phone in portrait mode, but on the other hand more vertical space is available in the latter case.)

6. brackets

Can we have ( ) style brackets on the msin keyboard rather than [ ]?

I think ? Might be more useful than / too

Thanks

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

We’re interested to hear more feedback on this, but… One of the main motivations behind PadKeys is to avoid the need for learning special layouts. The thought is that the advantages of having those keys available without Shift is actually outweighed by the hesitations caused by having a different layout from the one present in hardware keyboards everywhere.

Even something that may seem an obvious win like a “.com” key, which saves 3 keystrokes when typing in a URL, is of unclear benefit when you have to stop and hunt around for it, it takes up space that could be used for making larger letter keys, and it doesn’t help when typing in .de, .net, .org, or the site name itself.

Of course, none of these arguments hold for users more used to phones than regular computers. But PadKeys is not trying to be a keyboard for everyone,…

7. iPhone: Move backspace to low position

On the iPhone, move the backspace key to the first or second row like it is on the system keyboard.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, putting this idea on the forum so we can find out how many people prefer the backspace in one place or the other.

Currently it is in the top row. GOOD because it’s like other (non-phone) keyboards and allows the punctuation keys to be in their normal places. BAD because it makes backspace harder to hit and the keyboard is harder to get used to from other phone keyboards.

We could move it to the bottom row. GOOD because it’s like phone keyboards that people are used to, and allows the backspace to be easily hit. BAD because it’s different from standard keyboards and would move the punctuation keys to a strange, hard-to-hit place.

If opinions are split we might consider making it an option, but options make the keyboard more complicated to configure (and many users never open Settings) and to maintain.

8. Remove incorrect auto correct words

Often when typing quickly I will create a new jumble of letters that isn't a word, but is similar to a word that the keyboard remembers forever. This means that this fake word is now part of suggestions for real words and gets in the way. Currently there is no way to remove these fake words from suggestions, I'd like to be able to do this please. Thank you.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Lock the globe

Often hit the globe by mistake and fumble to get back to PadKeys, can you lock it so a long press is needed to change?

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We can consider this, however:

- It slows down the use case where you often switch to an emoji keyboard, or to Apple’s (to get dictation button).
    - It operates differently from the Globe on the Apple keyboard, so many users may have a hard time finding it, and/or Apple itself might reject the app.

I wonder if there would be any alternatives, maybe moving the Globe, or delaying the tap effect just enough on that key to avoid the accidental triggering during typing?

10. German Keyboard without äöü-keys

Apple ships four German Layouts with the iPad. The one I prefer is QWERTZ, which has no keys for ä, ö and ü. This layout is similar to the iPhone and makes it easier to switch between the devices.

I miss this layout in padkeys.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are still considering this. For Typefinity 2.0 we almost removed the two punctuation keys on the right of rows 2 and 3 (and did remove one on row 1) which would have given extra width to the letters (without actually removing umlauted keys), however we were a bit hesitant to "rock the boat", as the keyboard is widely used in Germany. Instead we may add a second German layout with this removal.

11. Swiss German Keyboard

add swiss german keyboard layout

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update: We have updated the option layout in Typefinity 2.0, such that in German, hitting 'Opt' pulls up keys for French letters on the right side in place of the German ones. This isn't exactly the Swiss layout but the user experience is similar: one modifier-key press gets you to the French letters.

Please post your feedback on this approach, and if we can do adjustments to the layout to make it better. Thanks!

12. Simultaneous languages like Gboard

I need at least 3 languages simultaneously. Can't use your app until this function is implemented!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Create a taller keyboard (landscape & portrait) for iPad

Could you please add a setting where the keyboard (only the top row) becomes taller than it already is in "regular" mode? You could call this new setting "tall" mode.

I've attached mockups for both landscape and portrait.

Note: "Tall" mode in landscape actually looks like a full-sized keyboard, and only takes up a few extra pixels.

P.S. If you combine this with my comments in the suggestion entitled "Arrow Keys: ALL of them! ▲▼◄ ► ↑ ↓ ← →", you would get the Ultimate iPad keyboard!
    e.g. look at the image: "5iPadlandscapetallwupdownkeys.png"

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Barcode scanner key

Would it be possible to implement barcode/QR code scanner so the QR code is translated and pasted in the text field?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Would love to have dual languages

I always need both Danish and English - often mixed in the same letter, so hope that can be made, just like in swiftkey, with a choice of which keyboard yet with two dictionaries active

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Better have Number key expansion characters Above instead of below number keys row ?

My iPhone.SE.2020 is usually in Portrait orientation – so that's where I use TypeFinity.
    Now wouldn't Typefinity be even more user friendly to some of us if we [optionally] had the "Expansion" popup row from Number keys (top row above the main kbd) displayed on a higher line above the Numbers row, instead of having the expanded options on_a ~lower screen line, because the current ~lower~ arrangement has my hand unfortunately ~covering~ the popped up ~lower~ line of options (while I taphold the expanding Number key in the first place).

Thanks for reading – writing from Belgium, Europe.

[ TypeFinity…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Word suggestions: arrange around center rather than from left

Put predictive words working out left and right from the center rather than all the way to the left. One's eyes will naturally look to the center more readily when typing.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering this but there are pros and cons to both orderings. Certainly if we place the leading candidate in the middle we’ll need to block it out somehow so it stands out from the larger number of candidates that we present compared with the system keyboard and its imitators.

18. Smaller text on keys on ipad

When using PadKeys on an iPad, it would be great, if there was a couple of options in 'preferences' to set the smaller size to text for the keys. Also, it would be great, if in addition to 'Long-press' access to 'shifted' symbols, the access was available by hold-swipe down, similar to the system iOS keyboard. This would make for a faster workflow. Thanks.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We already offer swipe UP for access to shifted variant on the symbol keys. Are you saying you would like this on letters as well, or that you’d prefer down to up?

As far as keycap font, we’ll offer a “small-label” theme if enough users are interested, just like the current “bold” theme provides a way to have bold keycaps.

19. Best suggestion ever: ADD OPTION TO TYPE ON iPHONE WHILE WRITING ON IPAD

The typing on iPad is hard because the keyboard take half the screen space. A perfect feature for Typefinity would be to be able to receive input from other devices, like using an iPhone to type and see the text being written on iPad. You need to do the following:
    1 - allow to install the Typefinity keyboard on both iPhone and iPad with the same login
    2 - allow the keyboard to connect via wifi to any other typefinity keyboard running on other devices with the same user logged in.
    3 - allow to open the keyboard on ipad…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add shortcut to insert photo or sketch on Padkeys option bar.

I'd like to hide the Apple options bar with these shortcuts and just use the Padkeys option bar.
    Of main interest in the Mail app are: insert photo and insert sketch.
    These could be part of a submenu to not block too much space.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3